July 07, 2010

Ngamba Island

The chimps here have been affected by humans in some way, and have been 'rescued' from humans. Some have been involved in the various recent Ugandan wars where they have been injured. These chimps can't be let back into the wild because their families would not welcome them back. Other chimps have been rescued from circuses or been orphaned and have struggled to survive in the wild. I'm struggling a little with the concept of them being in sanctuaries, and I believe that it's selfish to try to conserve animals or protect them from extinction, because people do it only for the benefit of humankind. Also struggling, physically and mentally, with the fences around the chimps, which I'll be photographing through. I think the fact that I see them as such a big thing ethically is making them stand out more in my photos.










0 comments:

Post a Comment